Stillwater Barbeque




When we went to Europe, Amber and I dropped our dogs off with her brother in Lubbock. When we came home, we landed in Austin Friday night, and on Saturday morning, we drove to Abilene to pick up our pups. Abilene was a good meeting point and was only about a couple of hours from Lubbock. I needed Texas barbecue stat especially after a disappointing meal in Rome. I have heard good things about Stillwater Barbeque, and it was the perfect situation to come on by. Owner/pitmaster Matt Proctor worked in the energy industry before turning to BBQ full time. Stillwater started in the trailer that was parked out back and took over a Quiznos once business took off.



My brother in law ordered the nachos, but he ate it all before I could have a bite. Jerk. I ordered some brisket, pork ribs, jalapeño cheese sausage, and pulled pork with smashed taters, brisket macaroni and cheese, and banana pudding. The brisket was cooked really well. The fat rendered perfectly so the meat was tender and moist. I wished Matt trimmed the brisket a little bit better and was more generous with the rub. He wanted the beef to shine which I get, but I prefer more flavor from the rub. The pork ribs were solid. They required a little effort to come off the bone, but the taste and smoke made the sweet pork enjoyable to eat. The sausage did fine for a commercial sausage. The casing was snappy, and the jalapeño gave the sausage a nice finish. I thought the pulled pork was a good offering. It was juicy, flavorful, and had a good amount of smoke. The smashed taters was fine but nothing too exciting. The brisket mac and cheese was thick and cheesy. I could eat it them all the time. Closing out the meal with the banana pudding was the way to go. I love homemade banana pudding, not the fake boxed crap.


The truck that started it all

Stillwater Barbeque had a good first showing on my visit. There are a lot of good options on the menu. I want to try more next time. Driving four hours on a stuffed stomach was not ideal. We will try to stop by more often on the way to Lubbock. If you are ever traveling through Abilene, drop in. The brisket and banana pudding are excellent reasons to break up your drive and stretch out your legs. Grade: B

Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 3365 S 14th St, Abilene, TX 79605
Phone: 325.518.5071
Website: http://www.stillwaterbarbeque.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/stillwaterbarbeque/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Stillwater_bbq

Comments

Popular Posts