Ironwood Barbecue (Closed)


National Brisket Day is celebrated on May 28th. I technically celebrate it every day, but I am not going to pass on a chance to eat brisket (like I need a reason). Blue OX BBQ occupied space with The Buzz Mill for a few years. They have now moved (location pending), and Ironwood Barbecue has taken its place. The climate has been wet in Austin so eating at food trailers has not been easy. Because Ironwood shares common space with The Buzz Mill, there is a covered patio to avoid the elements. It was pouring rain when I got there, but the weather cleared up after I finished my meal.


I ordered the sampler plate with moist brisket and spareribs with sides of creamy coleslaw and roasted green chili mac and cheese. I also added a little bit of the Dublin country ribs. Beer can chicken was the only other meat on the menu. The brisket was tender and smoky and not bad at all. They could have done a better job trimming and cutting the meat. A well-trimmed brisket results in a better product. The slice I received varied between a half inch thick and an inch thick. The flavor was underwhelming and could have used a little bit more rub. The pork ribs were falling off the bone but had an off-putting sour taste. It only had a trace of smoke, and without the pink in meat, I would have guessed it was cooked in an oven. The Dublin country ribs were unique and different. It is not a true rib with a bone, but sliced pork shoulder that is rubbed and covered in a Dr. Pepper sauce. It was dry and chewy but was also tasty, saucy, and sweet. I did not finish the bland coleslaw. The macaroni and cheese disappeared rather quickly though.


Blue OX BBQ was a solid stop for barbecue. I feel like The Buzz Mill downgraded when they switched to Ironwood Barbecue. Maybe Ironwood is early in its existence and has not hit its groove. Or it could just be another forgettable joint among the many heavy hitters in Austin.

Until next time, happy smoking...

Comments

Popular Posts