Roegels Barbecue Co.


My parents were leaving for Vietnam next week so I had to make a quick run to Houston to pick up their house keys. We also met up with our friends for a birthday lunch at Pappasito's. I was not going to miss out on a chance for some barbecue so a second lunch was in the plans. After some research, I chose Roegels Barbecue Co. It used to be a franchise of Baker's Rib before Russell and Misty Roegels decided it was time to do things their way. I follow a ton of BBQ folks/joints on social media, and every time I see something about Roegels, it has been positive. It was also not far from where we ate lunch.


I wanted a slice of moist brisket, a link of mild sausage, and a pork rib. The guy working the counter was confused with my order. I just ate lunch and did not want a ton of food. He was like if you want to sample everything, get a three-meat plate plus it is a better deal. I was not going to argue with him. I was going to have leftover barbecue. Oh darn. The plate came with two sides, and I got coleslaw and macaroni and cheese. The thin slices of brisket I got were from the flat instead of the point so I missed out on the bark. The flavors and the smoke were on point. The texture was like roast beef though. It might have been better if I had some from the fatty side. I was disappointed in the brisket. The ribs were much better. The sweet black pepper rub and smoke made a great duo. Combine that with the tender meat, and you have a winner. Reheated the next day, they were still great. There was a lot of sausage on the plate. The sausage was tasty with a good snap from the casing. The homemade sides were superb. The macaroni and cheese was nice and cheesy. The coleslaw was fresh and crispy and tasted good. I felt sort of healthy eating in. I wanted to try the other sides too. They all looked delicious.


My first time to Roegels Barbecue Co will not be my last. Sure the brisket was not very good, but it was not terrible either. Owner/pitmaster Russell Roegels reached out to me after I posted my pictures on Instagram and facebook. He owned up to the quality of his product. I respect and admire that so I will give them another chance when I am in town. I am looking forward to it, but until then... Grade: C+


Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 2223 South Voss Road, Houston, TX 77057
Phone: (713) 977-8725
Website: http://www.roegelsbarbecue.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Roegels-Barbecue-Co
Twitter: https://twitter.com/thepigonvoss

Comments

Popular Posts