Sam's Bar-B-Cue


I have been to Sam's Bar-B-Cue a few years ago when I first started to work for Progressive Insurance. I remembered that was everything I got was just okay. This was before the barbecue scene exploded in Austin. A couple of summers ago, Sam's was involved in a scandal where they were caught buying stolen meat. They were shut down for a little bit of time because of the scandal. If they are trying cut corners with their main products, where else could they be cutting corners from?


Sharing barbecue is the best way to try more items on the menu. Duh. Lisa Rawlinson from Full and Content was my eating partner today. We each ordered two meat plates and a half of a chicken. We got moist brisket, sausage, pork ribs, and mutton with sides of potato salad and beans. The brisket was mushy and bland. It was obviously cooked high and fast for a little too long. The ribs were falling off the bone and dry. They were boring with no flavor. The sausage was a commercial type made for them down the street. It was tasty but really fatty. What is mutton? I had to look it up before our visit. Mutton is sheep. The cut we got looked like a pork rib. It tasted very gamey. It was dry and just not good. Good thing we got the chicken based on a recommendation because it was the winner. It was tender and juicy actually had some flavor. Apparently the chicken is cooked differently every time. Strange huh? We did not eat all of the meat and had a lot of leftovers. I ate all of the beans and potato salad if it means anything. The sides were just okay.


I did not have a whole lot of expectations in this visit to Sam's Bar-B-Cue. Good thing I did not. I really wanted to get some good barbecue, but after leaving Sam's, my hankering was even stronger. There are better choices on the eastside. It seems like Sam's does not put any effort into their barbecue. If they do not care, why should I care to visit? They are open late though. Sam's slogan is shared by another BBQ joint in Austin. I am not so sure that "You don't need no teeth to eat my beef!" is a good thing. Grade: Other

Until next time, happy smoking...

Address: 2000 E 12th St, Austin, TX 78702
Phone: (512) 478-0738

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ATXBBQ

Comments

Popular Posts