Pork Belly from La Barbecue

Texas Monthly was sponsoring Texas Barbecue Week from July 15-19. Various BBQ joints across Texas were offering a special for the week. La Barbecue was offering something that was unique and not on the menu. It was a pork belly confit with sweet pepper kimchi and mango hoisin glaze. This is not going to be a review of La Barbecue. I will share that at a later date.


I left work early that day and picked up my wife Amber. When we got to La Barbecue, the only meats left on the menu was the special and chopped beef. I normally do not get chopped beef because even at a bad BBQ joint, chopped beef is still good. Apparently some places pour melted fat into the meat which makes it so good. The barbecue sauce also hides any flaw in the smoking of the brisket. I still ordered it because I trust that La Barbecue's chopped beef would merely be just leftover brisket. It was good, but a little dry. I assume it was dry because the meat was pulled apart earlier. It had a good smoky flavor. I was disappointed because there was no bark in the portion I got.

I love pork belly. I feel like I am a fan of the fattier meats. The pork belly was succulent and rich. The glaze gave it a nice flavor but not too much to take away from the smoke of the meat. I do not like kimchi normally, but their take on it was very good. It complemented the flavor and texture of the pork very well. I would definitely eat this again if I saw it on the menu again. They were also handing out free beers that day so that was a plus.


Until next time, happy smoking...

Comments

Popular Posts